Building and Permitting
When do I need a building permit?

Any construction, alterations, additions, hardscaping, fencing, paver work, or demolition in the Town of Millsboro requires a building permit from the Town. Please call (302) 934-8171 if you have questions regarding the permitting process.

How do I apply for a building permit?

Applications for new construction or renovations, alterations, or demolitions may be obtained at Millsboro Town Hall, 322 Wilson Hwy, or from our website. Applications are reviewed to ensure compliance with the Town’s Code. Please call (302) 934-8171 if you have questions regarding the permitting process.

What are local zoning regulations?
How much does a building permit cost?

Building Permit fees can be located in the Schedule of Fees document.

The permit fee can be paid with cash, check, or a money order made payable to the Town of Millsboro.

Who do I call for an inspection?

The inspection requirements and the proper scheduling contacts will be listed on the building permit when issued.

What plans are needed in the submission for the construction of a new home?

A building plan review will need to be completed. The cost of the plan review is $350.00 and will typically take on average about 3-4 weeks to complete. You will need to provide the following:

  • 1 paper copy of construction drawings
  • 1 electric copy (PDF) of the construction drawings
  • Contract between contractor and the property owner
  • Sussex Conservation District (SCD) approval
  • Survey or site plan (denoting setbacks and easements)
  • Manual J & S calculations
  • Res-Check
  • Completed Town of Millsboro Building Permit Application

Once the plan review has been approved, the building permit can be submitted.

If the property is located within the floodplain, an Elevation Certificate will be required with stamped & sealed plans by a registered professional (Architect or Engineer).

What information is needed for the submission for the construction of a deck,                                   accessory structure, porch, paver patio/walkway, fence, etc.?

You will need to provide the following:

  • Survey or site plan (denoting setbacks and easements)
  • Complete construction drawings
  • Signed contract between the property owner and contractor
  • HOA approval letter (if applicable)
  • Completed Building Permit application
What are the permitted construction hours?

Commercial operators may operate between 7:00 a.m.– 7:00 p.m. Monday through Saturday. No commercial construction on Sundays, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day.

A homeowner may engage in construction activities from 7:00 a.m. – 9:00 p.m. Monday through Sunday.

How long is the plan review for permit applications?

Commercial Site Plan Review is 3-4 weeks.

Residential Plan Review is 7-10 business days.

Permit applications and site plans are reviewed in the order in which they are received.

Where can I locate the code(s) that the Town of Millsboro follows for building?

The Town of Millsboro operates under the 2021 International Building Code (IBC) and the 2021 International Residential Code (IRC) and all codes incorporated within, to include Code of the Town of Millsboro.

Do I need a Town of Millsboro business license?

Yes, all contractors, sub-contractors, and service providers that operate within the municipal limits of the Town of Millsboro are required to obtain a business license.

How much does a business license cost?

Business License Fees can be located on our Schedule of Fees– A copy of your State of Delaware Business License will need to be attached.

To obtain a Town of Millsboro business license, click here.
Elections & Town Council
When and where is the municipal election of the Town of Millsboro held?
The Town of Millsboro municipal election is held on the second Saturday in June. Polls are open from 12:00p.m. - 7:00p.m. The polling location is Millsboro Town Hall, 322 Wilson Highway, Millsboro, Delaware 19966.
What are the qualifications to run as a candidate?
Per Section 6 of the Town Charter

The qualifications for Town Councilman at the time of his election shall be as follows:

(a) A bona fide resident of the United States and of the State of Delaware and a resident of the Town of Millsboro for at least 90 days next preceding the annual municipal election.
(b) At least 18 years of age.

(c) Each of the qualifications for Town Councilman shall be continuing qualifications to hold office, and the failure of any of the Town Councilmen to have any of the qualifications required by this section during his term of office shall create a vacancy in that office.
How do I file to run as a candidate?
How do I contact my Town Council Representative or Mayor?
To contact your District Representative or Mayor of the Town of Millsboro, please click here.
When and where are the monthly Town Council Meetings held?
The Town Council of the Town of Millsboro hold one meeting in each month on the first Monday of the month.
If the first Monday of the month falls on a legal holiday, the monthly meeting of the Town Council of the Town of Millsboro is then held on the next succeeding regular business day.

Stay up to date on all of the scheduled meetings on our Events page.
Water and Sewer
Why do I have a high water/sewer invoice?
Please check your toilet(s) faucet(s), water heater, hose, dishwasher, and/or refrigerator for leaks. The Town of Millsboro offers tablets for toilet leak checks at no cost. To obtain them, please visit Town Hall during our regular business hours or contact us at
When is my meter read?
You meter is read quarterly, within the first 15 days of the following months:
June, September, December, and March.
When are water/sewer invoices mailed out?
Water/Sewer invoices are mailed out quarterly on the last week in the following months: December, March, June and September.
When is my water/sewer bill due and when will penalties begin accruing?
Your water/sewer bill is due upon receipt, however; there is a grace period of 30 days from the date of the bill.

Late fees/penalties will begin accruing on the 1st date of the following months:
May, August, November and February
Can I pay my water/sewer bill online?
You can pay your water/sewer bill online! Visit this link to make your online payment. If you have any questions or issues, please call Millsboro Town Hall at (302) 934-8171, or email town@millsboro.org. 
How do I report an emergency water/sewer issue after regular Town Hall hours of operation?
If you have an emergency water/sewer issue after Town Hall hours of operation, you can reach out after hours on-call operator(s) at: (302)430-2823
Does the Town of Millsboro have a property tax? If so, what is the rate?
The Town of Millsboro does have a property tax.

The current property tax rate is $0.39 per $100 of the assessed value of the property.
How do I pay my property taxes?
You can pay your property tax bill online by clicking here; or you can pay via mail or in person. When not paying online, the Town accepts payment in the forms of cash, check, or money order.  
Trash and Recycling
Does the Town offer trash and recycling services?
No, the town does not provide trash and recycling services. Residents and visitors must independently obtain and contract their own trash/recycling services. 
How do I annex my property into the municipal limits of the Town of Millsboro?

Step 1: Complete an application and pay the applicable application fee.
  • Your application will be presented to Town Council at their regularly scheduled Town Meeting where the Mayor will appoint an Annexation Committee specific to your application. 
Step 2: The Annexation Committee will meet, and prepare a report of pros and cons.
  • The report will be provided to the Town Council at a regularly scheduled meeting, where they will determine whether the annexation process shall be permitted to proceed in the process (to schedule a Public Hearing), or if the annexation process shall cease and not continue on. If the annexation process fails, you must wait one year for consideration again.

Step 3: Internal processes will continue to take place and the Public Hearing will be scheduled.
  • The application processes will continue to take place, and a Public Hearing will be heard at a regularly scheduled Town Council Meeting. The applicant and/or representative of the applicant is highly encouraged to attend the meeting.  Following the Public Hearing: If the application request is approved, internal processes will continue.
IMPORTANT! Immediately upon annexation approval, please ensure you pay the Town all fees, to include annexation impact fees. Failure to pay fees can cause the annexation to fail if not paid and filed in time.

If you have any questions regarding the amount for annexation fees, please contact Matthew Hall, Director of Finance, at matth@millsboro.org.

Professional and legal fees will be passed through with a 10% markup. Developments may be asked to deposit money upfront to be used as a review of their accounts. All 30 days past due fees will be assessed 1.5% simple interest once per month.

Please visit the Town of Millsboro Town Code and Charter for full details:
What are the Town Hall hours of operation?
Town Hall is open Monday through Friday 8:00a.m. - 4:30p.m. but is closed on legally observed holidays.
How do I contact Town Staff?
To contact our Town Staff team, please view the Staff Directory
How can I sign up for alerts and notifications from the Town of Millsboro?
Stay up to date with the latest alerts from the Town of Millsboro! To sign up, please click here to add your information.
How can I access public records or documents?
To request public information through the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA), submit a FOIA request here.
Where can I find information about public transportation routes and schedules?
To view the latest public transportation routes and schedules, please visit the DART website.
How do I report a power outage?
To report a power outage to Delaware Electric Coop, please call (855)332-9090, or click: Delaware Electric Coop.

To report a power outage to Delmarva Power, please call (800) 898-8042, text "OUT" to 67972, or click: Delmarva Power.
Is my property located within the municipal boundary of the Town of Millsboro?
To determine if your property is located within the jurisdictional boundaries of the Town of Millsboro, please view our Zoning Map.